Love is the spirit of this church, and service is its gift. This is our great covenant; to dwell together in peace, to seek the truth in love, and to help one another.
Need outreach from Lay Ministry, or wish to request help for someone else?
Contact Tesa Silva:
What We Do
Lay Ministry, part of our Congregational Life ministry, is an umbrella term for the many ways we provide one another support during life’s inevitable transitions. The Coordinator of Lay Ministry and the minister of the church oversee the efforts of Lay Ministry which include:
- Creating and distributing comfort shawls for people or families in transition, as well as graduation blankets for youth transition to young adulthood, and baby blankets for our newest community members.
- Arranging and providing material care during times of illness, recuperation, or in welcoming a new member of the family. This support can include food deliveries, rides, help with housework after a child arrives, crisis childcare, or other volunteer support.
- Visiting the homebound, hospitalized, or those in long-term care.
- Listening when you have something to talk through, are feeling alone, are facing a difficult decision, or otherwise need a compassionate ear.
Pastoral Care Team
The Pastoral Care Team is a group of trained women and men who are available when you want someone to talk to. They will not try to “fix” the problem, but can provide deep listening and help you gain perspective on whatever you may be facing. The team has dealt with:
- Coping with long-term illness
- Grief issues
- Decisions about life or work transitions
- Other times in which presence, listening and understanding is the primary need.
Your Story is Sacred.
Call upon our Pastoral Care Team whenever you feel that talking something out with someone would be helpful. Your story will be kept confidential, except in cases of mandatory reporting. With your permission, they may share some of your story with your minister or offer community referrals.
A Pastoral Care Team member can be called upon by contacting your minister, your Lay Ministry Coordinator, or by filling out the form on our website. It’s our privilege to hear you.
Who We Are
We are you. All of our Lay Ministry, with the exception of ministerial Pastoral Care, is provided by caring people like you. The knitting group is happy to teach you. Those who coordinate material care need your casseroles and driving time.
Each of us finds ourselves at a time in life when we need some help to get by. Each of us finds ourselves at a time when we can offer help. This is what makes Northwoods a strong community.
How Can I Help?
The most important thing you can do is say yes. If your life is in transition, if you feel overwhelmed, if you feel like help would be good, say “Yes!” to this community that will gladly hold you through those times, and reach out and ask for what you need.
You may receive a call or email one day asking if you can deliver a meal, offer a ride, or otherwise help someone who lives near you. Take the opportunity to say “Yes!” to the chance to serve one another, and maybe make a new friend.
Basically, be willing to call…and be willing to be called upon. Love is the spirit of this church.